How to Pick Up Extra Assignments During Tax Season

Sean Dowling, Vice President
Follow: Linkedin

If you’re an accountant looking for seasonal work, you may be interested in providing tax preparation or related services. January 1 through April 15 typically is the time during which you’d find these assignments. You can earn additional income that may lead to more permanent opportunities in accounting and finance. Here’s how to get started.

Learn the Types of Tax Season Jobs

Tax preparation offices of various sizes hire seasonal workers. You may help clients prepare tax returns and answer questions. You might serve as an audit associate, personal financial services associate, tax examiner, or tax advisor. You could fulfill general clerk or data transcription duties like reviewing, examining and managing documents. Perhaps you pick up work as a seasonal program coordinator, administrative assistant or bookkeeper.

Qualify for Tax Season Jobs

Depending on the assignments you seek, you may need specific experience and degrees. For instance, you might need a certain number of years working in accounting or tax preparation to prepare taxes. You could need a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification to perform sophisticated accounting and tax work or represent clients before the IRS. You may able to participate in in-person or online courses if you’re interested in preparing income tax returns but lack experience or certifications. While the courses may be free, you might pay for books and class materials. In any case, be sure you keep up on the latest tax changes. You may want to participate in a refresher course to prepare.

Have a Flexible Schedule

The more flexible your schedule, the greater your odds of securing tax season assignments. Being able to work days, evenings, or weekends means you can fill needs for a greater number of employers in need of tax assistance.

Become a Non-Credentialed Tax Preparer

If you lack accounting or finance credentials, you can become a non-credentialed tax preparer. First, you must have a high school diploma or GED and obtain the required tax preparation training. Courses may be offered through a community college, technical college, Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT), National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP), private training company or national tax preparation firm. Next, receive your Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) from the IRS. This registers you as an unenrolled preparer, allowing you to prepare federal tax returns as a paid preparer. Then, check with your state to determine whether there are education, licensing, or registration requirements for non-credentialed tax preparers. California, Connecticut, Maryland, Nevada, New York and Oregon are among the states with specific requirements.

Partner with KBW Financial Staffing & Recruiting

Find extra assignments during tax season by partnering with KBW Financial Staffing & Recruiting. We have a number of clients seeking assistance during tax season. Find out more today.

Search Our KBW Jobs